Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas advent calendar

I've been wanting to make some sort of advent calendar for my daughters for the past year but wanted one similar to what we had growing up.  It was a fabric calendar with a picture at the top of Santa and Mrs. Claus sitting by a cozy fire sipping warm drinks.  Below this picture were little pockets with the numbers 1 through 24.  Then there was a little Christmas mouse who moved from pocket to pocket, day by day, as we counted down til Christmas.

Having searched online for a pattern similar to this and not finding one that was just as I wanted, I decided to create my own.  A little house with a Christmas elf counting down the days as he pops from window to window.

Advent Calendar

This was a great way to use up some of my scrap fabric!

Christmas Advent Calendar

I also created a pattern in case anyone else is interested in making one.
Pattern available here.


linking to The Shabby Nest 
linking to Crazy Mom Quilts
linking to I Heart Nap Time 

8 comments:

  1. Oh is that ever cute! I love the memory you have of our old Advent Calendar. It's so fun hearing memories our kids have of Christmas from years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. We have a star that moves from pocket to pocket. Is it dorky that I am now inspired to add tootsie rolls to our pockets? Any excuse for tootsie rolls, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable! I love the vintage-y look to it - and that elf is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loooove this! Wish I could sew like YOU!! Featured it today!
    xoxo

    http://lollyjane.com/30-diy-christmas-advent-calendars/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks so cute! I love the little blond head poking into the picture! Keep up the great sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful calendar! I love the fabrics you used! Pinning!

    T'onna
    Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omgosh I love this! something you could pul out year after year! Cannot wait to have children to make this for :)

    I made a more "adult" version for my husband over at http://www.smileyculture.com/diy-advent-calendar/ would love to know what you think.


    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete